The beginning starts here

Autoethnography and using the 4 R’s

From the reading “ Autoethnography: An Overview” I reflected on my own personal experiences, thoughts, reflections, and how using an autoethnography could be useful.

Research

Carolyn Ellis, Tony E. Adams & Arthur P. Bochner stated in the abstract of their article the following: “Autoethnography is an approach to research and writing that seeks to describe and systematically analyze personal experience in order to understand personal experience”

For myself, I learn more when I can make a connection to something in the real world such as a story, an experience, or an event. Notably, the article provided an outline on types of approaches when starting a research project using autoethnography. The article also sets out that we need to be mindful when we do research and consider the power relationships, interactions with others, and the context. I also liked how the article described that writing can be therapeutic to better make sense of ourselves and experiences (KIESINGER, 2002; POULOS, 2008). The idea of therapeutic writing to help cement thoughts, and the research process can also be found in Research Diary: A Tool for Scaffolding.

The Researcher

Another valuable point from the article is how vocabulary, and the language of an article is written in (such as English) transfers cultural biases and the established academia, and how this bias comes from the Researcher.

It made me connect to First Nations storytelling, and other ways of knowing.  How using personal experiences connects ideas, to the audience, and personal journeys can be connected to one’s own experiences. It reminds me of setting up talking circles as an elementary school teacher, and how students would make flashes of connections and would feed off of others. Also, the confidence that I built up over a period of time by first having a First Nations educator model the activity, and for myself (of non-aboriginal ancestry) to then lead the activity

https://www.bctf.ca/uploadedFiles/Public/AboriginalEducation/AboriginalWaysofKnowing.pdf

Moving forward as a researcher in the education program and writing my blog, I can always improve my cultural awareness being open minded to think outside of the box, and continue to try approaches to learning from other cultures in our country.

Reader… Who?

Moving through the 21st century, who is my target audience for what is created here in the course. Who will be able to access information, decipher it, and critique it? How will I present information to the world? In class today we spoke about e-books, which is content that can be accessed online and can be edited and changed. From Autoethnography: An Overview what resonates to me is how “…we live connected to social networks. When we conduct and write research, we implicate others in our work.”

Having the ability for the reader, and make it more accessible to then become the researcher.

Researched

I left the topic of researched for last, as this is the beginning of a two year journey that has just begun and has yet to be fully written. The research subject, whatever it may be, needs to be authentic not only for the reader, but for myself as well.

1. David Truss

Greetings Mr. Hood,
    Here are 2 podcasts you might like for very different reasons:
    1. Roy Henry Vickers – the value of storytelling shines through as he shares the 4 Directions of the Sweat Lodge: http://podcasts.davidtruss.com/pair-a-dimes-5-roy-henry-vickers-part-1/
    2. Remi Kalir – how our identities influence and play upon our abilities to have agency as both educators and learners: http://podcasts.davidtruss.com/pair-a-dimes-18-remi-kalir/

Enjoy your course and the learning journey it takes you on!
    Dave

• Trevor Hood

Thank you for the links David.

2. Benjamin

Hi ,

Great start to the work. I enjoyed seeing how others interpret our readings. I would like to get a better sense of you in your writing (it is a two-year journey after all, so we should get to know one another). You mentioned setting up “talking circles” but don’t go into much personal detail about this particular aspect of your teaching or your practice in general. While that may be by design (we are all getting used to this privacy/no-privacy thing), you are not alone when you started by saying “I learn more when I can make a connection to something in the real world such as a story, an experience, or an event.”

• Trevor Hood

Hi Benjamin,
      We’ll have to talk at some point and throw some ideas past each other. Planning to read through the Phenomenology assignment this week and get a start on it. It would be good to talk with someone and get another perspective.